Melanie has over 14 years’ experience in various services, such as Women’s Mental Health, Drug and Alcohol Services, Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault services. Much of her experience has been in general mental health services, treating a wide range of moderate to severe mental health problems.
Melanie’s specialism is treating disorders, such as –
- Health Anxiety (Hypochondriasi
- Panic Disorder
- Social anxiety/shyness
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder (excessive worry)
- Low self esteem
- Sleep problems
- Marriage/relationship problems including communication issues
Melanie’s approach to working with individuals begins from a person-centred perspective. The person-centred stance is that everyone has the capacity and resources to change, and that they know what is best for
them. It is non-judgemental, empathic and develops a healthy authentic working relationship in order to approach the problem together as a team. Melanie is also fully trained in delivering Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) treatment for the above problems. CBT is primarily collaborative – that is, you are working on the problem together with your therapist. You are the expert on yourself and Melanie is the expert on CBT; working together towards the agreed goal. It is a highly active therapy that involves ‘doing’ as well as ‘talking’. Extensive research shows that it is a highly effective treatment for most mental health problems.
Another approach that Melanie endorses is Compassion Focused
Therapy (CFT). We all tend to be harsh on ourselves and talk to ourselves
unkindly when we think we are not ‘good enough’. We think that it might help us to do better by pushing ourselves, but really, this negative self-talk
undermines us, and lowers our confidence and self-belief. CFT helps people to be kinder to themselves, to be their own source of encouragement and support. It is particularly helpful for depression and low self-esteem.
- Melanie has clinical registration with the Australian Counselling Association (ACA) Level 4.
- Melanie is member of the Australia Association of Cognitive and Behavioural Therapists (AACBT).
- Melanie has a Post Grad Dip in Cognitive and Behavioural Therapy.
- Melanie has BSc (Hons) in Integrative Therapy.
- Melanie has a Level 4 Diploma in Counselling.
- Melanie is also trained in Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)
- Couple Therapy for Depression
- Mental Health First Aid.